My wifi signal stinks! Whose doesn’t?
C’mon now, this is one of the easiest things to fix, but it’s something most of us just ignore. It must be martians, solar flares, the kids, it’s my provider, its bla bla bla bla.
Well guess what? It’s where your wireless modem is located!!!! When I installed mine I made sure it was in a lead enforced box, I then dug a hole in my basement, filled it with water and sunk the modem to the bottom, then covered it with cement. This way I could bitch about my single forever. Boy I’m glad I did that!
Little known fact: Most cable and DSL installers are sub contractors that are paid by the installation. This is why they want to get in and out as fast as they can, as long as they can establish a single adequate signal in your building. They don’t really take much concern as to where they install your Wireless Router, they choose the easiest place possible. What’s better is the homeowner and business owner installations, we’re all experts so we do things right.
One thing we ALL have in common is that we ALL like a STRONG and FAST WiFi signal. Whether at home, work, the library, coffee shop, airport, anywhere! I want full bars!!!!
Here are the TOP 10 WiFi Tips we have:
1. Don’t put your router on the floor. Get your router off the ground at least 5-7 feet if possible. It’s kind of like a light bulb; when you turn it on you want it to shine as far as possible, not straight into the ground. Just put it on top of something, anything. Just not on the floor.
2. I know I spend most of my time with my laptop in the basement, I might as well move my entire entertainment system down there, and my bedroom since that’s where the best WiFi signal is. If you don’t live in your basement, don’t put your WiFi modem there.
3. Don’t put your WiFi here. Unless of course you want your neighbors to have a great signal.
4. Avoid locations near your TV because media components like this can seriously affect your WiFi signal strength. You know those TV consoles with the cabinet under the TV, worst place you can put your WiFI, it’s hot and all that electrical matter will mess with your Wifi.
5. Speaking of near other devices, if you don’t want to put your modem IN the microwave, don’t put it next to it either.
6. This looks like a good spot to hide it. NOT! Don’t try and hide it.
7. Got a fish tank? Again, if you don’t put the modem IN your fishtank, don’t put it next to it, or behind it. WiFi signals do not pass through fish tanks. Trust me.
8. Let’s use some common sense now. As I get farther away the signal degrades. So put the modem near where you spend your most time, but put it in a central location so the signal reaches everywhere you need it. And remember to elevate it, don’t put it on the floor.
9. Limit applications that hog your speed. If your kids are always playing games online or doing video chats, this can make your wireless experience slower for everyone else. Online gaming hogs more bandwidth than anything else on earth! Tell your kids to pony up and get their own connection.
10. Regularly reboot your router. It’s ALWAYS the first thing they tell you after you wait 30 minutes on hold, “please unplug and plug your modem back in”. And it works! You can set your modem up on a timer and have it reboot itself in the middle of the night. These things don’t have on/buttons, they just need to be power cycled. Another great use of this timer is kick your kids offline after say 10pm, and have it come back on 6am.
And as I always advise, be sure to have the latest and greatest gear available. I was watching a TV commercial the other night and saw Comcast commercial that featured a modem that looked better than mine. I called, and now I’m getting a new modem.Follow some of these tips, and you’ll definitely have your Wi-Fi optimized for your next big event.