Here is a do-it-yourself 5 step guide to creating key phrases that will be effective in the search engines:
1. Describe what you do in easy words
- Try to describe what your company does without using any business specific words. How would you describe your company to your parents or even your grand parents? These descriptions help you to find new keywords that are related to your business.
2. Find the unique selling proposition of your company
- What makes your company special? How are you different from your competitors? Do you offer great service? Do you offer the lowest prices? If you offer great service, add service related keyword modifiers to your list. If you don’t want to sell by price, avoid words like “cheap” or “low cost” in your keyword lists.
3. Find words with multiple meanings
- Some words have multiple meanings. If you sell products that have names that can be confused, make sure that your website visitors immediately know what they will get. If you sell tablets, do your customers know whether they are tablet computers, bath tablets, clay tablets, chewable tablets, writing tablets or graphical tablets?
4. Focus on your most profitable products
- You don’t have to be listed for every single keyword on search engines. If some of your products have a small margin, it doesn’t make sense to optimize your web pages for them. It’s better to focus on the keywords that are related to the products that are profitable for your business.
5. Write down the 10 most important keywords
- Make a list of the 20 most important keywords and then take a close look at the list. Are the keywords all about the same product? Do you cover all aspects of your services and products with these keywords?
Do not follow your first instincts. Carefully go through the list and check why you find a keyword important.
When you optimize your web pages for search engines, start with very targeted keywords that attract targeted website visitors. Do not use one-word keywords or keywords with multiple meanings. The more targeted your keywords are, the more likely it is that you will get new customers with these keywords.