This Tuesday’s SEO post is a reminder to assess your SEO Activities on a regular basis. What may be a great SEO technique last month may be killing you in Google today. White Hat SEO Techniques are the way to go. Once you go down the slippery road of trying to trick Google, its just a matter of time before you hit a dead end, and sometimes there is no turnaround.
Many webmasters think that SEO has become more difficult after Google’s recent updates. That’s not case if you invest your time in the right things. If you want to be successful with your website, there are five things that you should know.
1. Techniques are continually evolving
- Google and other search engines are continually improving their algorithms. Things that work today might not work tomorrow. There is no ‘set and forget’ in search engine optimization. Either stay educated or use an SEO software tool that is continually updated to work with the latest ranking algorithms.
2. It doesn’t pay to game Google
- Gaming Google’s ranking algorithm requires a lot more work than following best practices and doing it right the first time. Sooner or later, Google will detect all new spam tricks.
- Your website will be penalized then, you will lose a lot of money and you will have to invest a lot of time to get your rankings back. If you play by the rules, you will get much better results that last, even if it takes a little longer to get high rankings.
- Companies that promise you instant results for little money are lying to you. Like most things, a successful SEO campaign requires time, effort and a good strategy.
3. Your website is the only thing that you can control
- You cannot control what your competitors do, you cannot control what Google does and you also cannot control if some startup will release a tool that will change the market in the near future.
- Make sure that your website would offer your website visitors a value even if search engines didn’t exist. Your website is your most important asset. Treat it as such.
4. The content of your website is very important
- Getting traffic is pointless if your website is disappointing to your visitors. Low quality content won’t help your rankings. Tell your website visitors why they should use your products or services. Tell them what’s in it for them.
- Make sure that your web pages look good and that your landing pages have a high conversion rate.
5. Don’t be distracted by the latest marketing trends
- Pinterest? Cool. Microblogs? Nice. Twitter? You bet. Unfortunately, all of these new marketing trends won’t do your website any good if your website basics aren’t right. Half-hearted social media campaigns can also have a negative effect. For your conversion rate, it is often better to do one thing right instead of juggling too many balls at once.
Your website will get top rankings on Google and other search engines if you do the right things. Avoid distractions and keep working on your goal.